If you know a child under the age of 18 in the Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas area who is suffering from hair loss, please let their family know about this incredible resource that is available to children/families in the DFW Metroplex.
Wigs for Kids is a nonprofit organization that provides beautiful, natural-looking, customized wigs for children suffering from hair loss due to chemotherapy, radiation therapy, alopecia, trichotillomania, burns and other medical issues at no cost to children or their families.
Each Wigs for Kids wig is custom-made, hand-tied and made completely from human hair (approximately 150,000 strands of hair per wig) and ranges in value from $1,500 to $3,000. To develop the hairpieces, Wigs for Kids worked with doctors and prosthetics specialists to create wigs that would withstand typical kid behavior and will look like regular hair, even when wet.
Hair Restoration Institute (HRI) of DFW is a trained and certified service provider for Wigs for Kids and provides on-site services to children in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. HRI of DFW works with children and their families to:
- Measure and provide a fitting for the child’s head
- Fill out the Wigs for Kids order form (which needs precise measurements for the best fit)
- Help the child select the hair color and style they want and will work best for them
- Cut and style their new, custom wig when it comes in
- Teach them how to care for their wig.
All services to qualifying children are provided at no charge.
To learn more and qualify, go to www.wigsforkids.org.