Meet Dr. Jesse E. Smith, MD
About Dr. Smith
Dr. Smith is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon specializing in Head and Neck Surgery and Board certified in Facial Plastic Reconstructive Surgery. For over twelve years, he has dedicated a significant part of his practice to hair restoration surgery for both men and women. Dr. Smith understands the psychological impact of hair loss and how it can affect low self esteem, becoming an emotional burden. His extensive experience in reconstructive surgery gives him the skilled hands necessary to transform peoples’ lives and watch them regain their confidence. He is one of the leading Hair Transplant surgeons in the Dallas Ft. Worth area and he stays on the cutting edge by utilizing the latest innovative techniques creating the most natural looking hairlines possible, with undetectable scarring.
There are two different methods used to retrieve the follicles from the donor area. Follicular Unit Extraction, also known as FUE Hair Transplantation, involves the individual extraction of follicular units from the sides and back of the scalp. This procedure allows the patient to keep their donor hair very short with no linear scar after the hair transplant procedure. Follicular Unit Transplant, also known as FUT Hair Transplantation or Strip method, involves removing a strip of tissue from the donor site that contains the follicles. The scalp is then brought back together, sutured and the strip is dissected into many follicular units. The methods by which the receptor sites are created and by which the grafts are placed – is done exactly the same way regardless of which extraction method (Strip or FUE) is being used. Both procedures are done under local anesthetic so you are awake and comfortable during your procedure.
Dr. Smith also specializes in harvesting grafts (bone, skin, cartilage, muscle, and tendon) from other parts of the body to assist us in optimizing the aesthetic and functional restoration of the face and facial skeleton. This allows him to improve appearance not only in cosmetic surgery patients, but also to enhance the return of form in reconstructive surgery patients. This includes patients suffering from congenial birth defects (cleft lip, cleft palate, skin lesions, and craniofacial abnormalities) and trauma (fractures of the upper face or mandible, scar revisions). Performing many types of tissue transfers, including microsurgical procedures, allows us to treat many head and neck cancers aggressively while optimizing appearance and functional ability after loss of tissue by the tumor.
Dr. Smith has published a large number of articles in the fields of cosmetic surgery including rhinoplasty, chin augmentation, facelift, lip augmentation, laser resurfacing, and ear shaping surgery, reconstructive surgery (including a number of different flaps to assist in restoring the face and neck), maxillofacial trauma, and skill base surgery, including various approaches to access lesions of the skull base as well as a number of techniques to optimize appearance postoperatively.
When researching for hair transplantation it is our overall belief that an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon is more highly skilled in the art of hair transplantation than an everyday MD. And lastly, please remember this…The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of the lowest price. This lifelong benefit procedure is not one which you want to trust to the lowest bidder. It is our hope you will put your trust in us and our experience.
- American Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery – Board Certified
- American Board of Head & Neck Surgery – Board Certified
- Texas State Board of Medical Examiners – Physician License
- California State Board of Medical Examiners – Physician License
Education and Training
Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship
Gregory S. Keller, MD, FACS
Keith Blackwell, MD, FACS
Jeffery Rawnsley, MD, FACS
July 2004 – June 2005
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas (Parkland Health & Hospital Systems)
Otolaryngology—Head & Neck Surgery Residency
January 2000 – July 2004
General Surgery Internship & Residency
July 1998 – December 1999
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, Texas
August 1994 – June 1998
Baylor University, Waco, Texas
Magna Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Mortar Board
Bachelor of Arts: Biology, Minor: Chemistry
August 1990 – May 1994
- Cole SV, Smith JE. Frequency of Occurrence of the Zygomandibularis Muscle: a recently described structure. J Craniomand Pract 1997; 15(4): 310-313.
- Smith JE, Ducic Y. Interim Fixation of Mandible Fractures. The Journal of Otolaryngology 2002; 31(4): 227-230.
- Ducic Y, Smith JE. The Cervico-DeltoPectoral Flap for Single Stage Resurfacing of Anterolateral Defects of the Face and Neck. Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery 2003;5(2):197-201.
- Ducic Y, Pontius AT, Smith JE. Lipotransfer as an Adjunct in Head and Neck Reconstruction. Laryngoscope 2003; 113(9): 1600-1604.
- Smith JE, Ducic Y. Inverted Papilloma of the Base of Tongue with Malignant Transformation. Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery 2004; 130(1):142-144.
- Smith JE, Ducic Y. The Versatile Extended Pericranial Flap for Closure of Skull Base Defects. Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery. 2004;130(6):704-711.
- Huang RY, Sercarz JA, Smith JE, Blackwell KE. Effect of salivary fistulas on free flap failure: a laboratory and clinical investigation. Laryngoscope. 2005, 115:517-521.
- Smith JE, Ducic Y, Adelson R. The utility of the temporalis muscle flap for oropharyngeal, base of tongue, and nasopharyngeal reconstruction.
- Otolaryngology-Head Neck Surg. 2005;132(3):373-80.
Verret DJ, Ducic Y, Oxford L, Smith J. Hydroxyapatite cement in craniofacial reconstruction. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2005 Dec;133(6):897-9.
- Kim Y, Smith J, Sercarz JA, Head C, Abemayor E, Blackwell KE. Fixation of mandibular osteotomies: comparison of locking and nonlocking hardware. Head Neck. 2007 May;29(5):453-7.
- Smith JE, Suh JD, Erman A, Nabili V, Chhetri DK, Blackwell KE. Risk factors predicting aspiration after free flap reconstruction of oral cavity and oropharyngeal defects. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008 Nov;134(11):1205-8.
- Grunebaum LD, Smith JE, Hoosien GE. Lip and Perioral Trauma. Facial Plastic Surg. 2010 Dec;26(6):433-44.
- Smith JE, Ducic Y, Adelson R. Temporalis muscle flap for reconstruction of skull base defects. Head Neck. 2010 Feb;32(2):199-203.
- Smith JE. Dermabrasion. Facial Plastic Surgery. 2013
Medical Societies and Affilations
- American Academy of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- American Laryngological, Rhinological, and Otological Society
- Fellow American College of Surgeons
- North American Skull Base Society
- Texas Medical Association
- Tarrant County Medical Society
- Baylor University Letterman’s Association
- Baylor University Alumni Association
Honors and Awards
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Gamma Beta Phi National Honor Society
- Golden Key National Honor Society
- Outstanding Senior Man, Baylor University, 1994
- Outstanding Senior in Biology, Baylor University, 1994
- Mortar Board (Recruiting Officer), Baylor University, 1993-94
- Academic Scholar Athlete, Baylor University, 1990 – 1994
- Distinguished Chemist Award, Baylor University, 1990
Restore Your Hair and Your Confidence.
At Hair Restoration Institute of DFW in Fort Worth, our attention to total client and patient services always includes:
- Free, no obligation hair loss and scalp evaluation.
- Discreet, private, dignified and confidential service.
- Totally private styling rooms for both men and women.
- Professional, one-on-one personalized service.
- Convenient locations with private, off-street parking.
- The security of dealing with a firm that has been continuously in business since 1982.
Which Hair Loss Solution is Right for You?
WE INVITE YOU to schedule a private, no-obligation consultation at our state-of-the-art hair restoration center in Fort Worth, Texas and discuss your hair loss concerns with a trained HRI hair loss professional.
Whether you are just starting to experience baldness or are in the most advanced stages of hair loss, we can help with our full spectrum of professional treatment and hair restoration options.
CLICK HERE to schedule your private hair loss evaluation today. Or call us any time at 817-854-4247.